What exercise should I do, and how much?
Activity guidelines recommend 30 minutes exercise a day. Ideally, most of that should be vigorous – enough to get you puffed – but it doesn’t need to be in one hit.
Try ways to make activity part of your day:
- Take the stairs instead of the lift.
- Walk to the shops rather than drive.
- Get off the bus early or park the car further away and walk the rest of the way.
- When you walk, step out briskly.
- Wash your car by hand.
- Use chores around the garden to work up a sweat.
The great news is: the type of activity or exercise does not matter. It can be playing active games with the kids; going for a family walk or bike ride; taking a brisk walk with a friend or colleague at lunchtime; playing sport; dancing or gardening or sex.
Most importantly, do whatever exercise is fun. That way you are more likely to enjoy it and keep doing it.
So, have a go. It’s OK to start small and build up.