Managing work pressure
Feeling overwhelmed by work pressures is no fun. There are usually multiple factors that contribute to feeling overwhelmed – some of these may be under your control, and some of them won’t be.
Have a look at the resources in the tabs for tips and ideas you can try out to help you dial some of the pressure back.
If more ideas feel overwhelming right now there are some quick tips listed below.
Start with one and ask a colleague to support you:
- Organise your work space (or your home space); check things are ordered each day. If nothing else this will help you to feel calmer.
- Set your priorities before you start work, or even at the end of each day in readiness for the next.
- Make sure your to-do list is realistic and achievable – don’t set yourself up to fail.
- Do one thing at a time. Many of us pride ourselves on multi-tasking, but actually it is not productive.
- Try to work on large or daunting projects a little at a time. This helps prevent procrastination and provides you with a sense of accomplishment.
- Actively manage interruptions: use voice mail and return calls at a convenient time, put a regular out of office to set people know you respond to emails at certain times so you are not constantly checking them.
- Most of us have times during the day when we feel sluggish – take a note of when your lower productivity time is, and schedule less demanding tasks during that time.
- Build time into your daily schedule for unexpected events or interruptions.
- Plan recovery breaks into your day and take them!
Tips for building resilience
The following link provides some tips on how to build resilience to work challenges: Top 10 resilience tips
SOME EXTRA RESOURCES
Umbrella is the trading name of Umbrella Health and Resilience Limited | All content Copyright 2017 Umbrella Health and Resilience Limited